Tips & Exercises for Working Out at Home
Stuck at home but want to keep your fitness routine on track? Try working out from home!
In turbulent times, maintaining a fitness plan is key to staying healthy and improving physical and mental health. Working out from home is a great alternative to going to the gym whether you decide to do body weight exercises or use weights that you may already have. Staying active doesn’t have to stop with the gym. Below are a few tips you can follow to stay active from home.
1. Establish a Workout Regimen
One of the best things you can do to be serious about your at-home workouts is to start by establishing a workout regimen. Begin planning your workout regimen by choosing specific days and times that you can dedicate to working out. Having a consistent routine will help you get into the habit of working out, even in the comfortable space of your home.
2. Get in the Zone
Try to avoid all distractions that can cut your workouts short by keeping your mind focused on the task at hand. Act the part and dress accordingly (as if you’re going to the gym). Play whatever music motivates you to keep yourself disciplined. Do your best not to get lazy just because you are at home.
3. Stay Hydrated
Remember to always stay hydrated as this will help you maintain your energy throughout the workout and help maximize your physical performance.
4. Take a Deep Breath.
Find a moment to relax. Find your Zen. Inhale… and exhale. Focusing on breathing helps lower anxiety, heightens focus, and calms the mind.
If you’re unsure of what types of workouts to do or where to start, here is a list that some of our employees here at Injinji recommend:
- YouTube is a great source for all types of at-home workouts. You can find one that fits your needs through a simple search. Here is a high-intensity cardio workout you can try that requires no equipment to get you started: https://youtu.be/ml6cT4AZdqI
- On a time crunch? Let’s go back in time with one of 1990’s most famous workout videos - 8 Minute Abs. To this day, it’s still one of YouTube’s most popular workout
- As of March 16, 2020, Peloton is now offering new users to try their app for free for the next 90 days. It does not require people to own any Peloton-branded treadmill or bike to participate. They offer yoga, HIIT (high intensity interval training), stretching, strength training, and other classes. Learn more about it here.
- If you’re considering incorporating at-home workouts into your weekly schedule, bodybuilding.com is offering a 7 day free trial on their 8-Week At-Home Fitness Plan. With it includes streamable real-time workouts from expert instructors and nutrition and supplement plans to fuel your workouts as you build your fitness.
- Interested in yoga? Try it with Adriene! She offers high-quality free yoga videos that welcomes all levels, all bodies, all genders, all souls! You can find her YouTube channel here.
We encourage you to take advantage of the resources available online to stay active and healthy! No matter the circumstances, a workout at home is still a workout!